Leave A Review phone icon

Make An Appointment



When to See an Orthopaedic Specialist

by admin

It can be hard to determine whether you need to see an orthopaedic specialist or not. You may wonder if the money will be worth it, if your condition is bad enough, or if you’re just being a hypochondriac.

Here are some helpful tips to know when visiting an orthopaedic specialist should be a priority.


You should see an orthopaedic specialist about your shoulder if you have

·       Shoulder instability

·       Labrum tears (when the tissue rim surrounding the shoulder socket tears)

·       Small rotator cuff tendon tears

·       Shoulder impingement (when the bone on top of your shoulder and the lubricating sac rub against each other causing irritation and pain)

Arthroscopic surgery is typically effective for these ailments. These conditions usually require a same day surgery with no overnight hospital stay.  Your procedure may be as quick as a one to two hour procedure with limited stitches and bandages—it’s as low maintenance as an orthopaedic surgery can get!


You should see an orthopaedic specialist about your elbow if you have

·       Cartilage tears

·       Long-lasting tennis elbow (when the outer bone of your elbow becomes sore and tender and persists despite rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory pain relievers)

·       Long-lasting golfer’s elbow (when the inner muscles and tendons of your elbow are injured)

·       Elbow instability

Cortisone shots or a simple surgery is often used for these ailments. For elbow instability, a Tommy John surgery may be performed, where the immobile ligament is replaced with another nonessential tendon from elsewhere in the body.


You should see an orthopaedic specialist about your knee if you have

·       Loose bodies in your knee joint

·       Torn meniscus (the cartilage inside your knee is torn and creates pain)

·       Discoid lateral meniscus (abnormally formed meniscus)

·       Torn ligaments in or around the knee

·       Inflamed lining in the knee

·       Fractures in or around the knee

These ailments require arthroscopic surgery, the same sort of surgery performed on your elbow for those associated ailments. Arthroscopy is used to visualize, diagnose, and treat problems inside of a joint. The surgeon can visualize inside the joint using a miniature camera and can examine the bones, cartilage, and ligaments of the knee to repair the apparent injuries or problems.

It is always better to be safe rather than sorry. If you are experiencing any of these issues, you should see an orthopaedic specialist immediately to ensure your full recovery.  Contact our office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Skedros.   


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.